One of the biggest social networks today, with over a billion users around the world is Instagram. Through it, you can share photos and videos in order to get followers on Instagram and earn extra income. Here, we will show you step by step how to delete your Instagram account.
There are two ways to do this and here we will tell you about it, the differences and how to use them!
Index of this article
What are the ways to delete the Instagram account?
To start this article, we’re going to talk about the two ways you can get away from one of the biggest social networks, Instagram. We’ll give you recommendations on when to use each and how to do it.
The first one is to deactivate your Instagram account, but not delete it. This process is quite easy for anyone to do and is particularly recommended if you just want to take a break from Instagram and get away, but want to be able to go back to using your profile whenever you want.
This means that the deactivation is reversible without presenting any downside to you. When deactivating the account, a few things will remain visible, like the messages you’ve sent. However, the profile will disappear so that no one will be able to find it.
The second way is to delete your Instagram account, which is a process that can be more tedious to do. This is mainly because Instagram itself makes it difficult to try to keep at least your registered profile.
It is most recommended when you want to never go back to the social network for any reason. All content you uploaded to the platform in the past will be lost, including the list of all your Instagram followers. In other words, it is highly recommended to backup your data before proceeding.
Now that we’ve talked about all this, it’s time to explain both processes in detail so that you can leave the social network, whether permanently or not.
Something worth mentioning is that, as Instagram tries to prevent you from deleting your account, you can’t do it through the app, whether it’s for iPhone or Android. However, it can be done on smartphones as long as you are willing to use one of the best web browsers.
How to deactivate the account in four steps?
Initially, let’s talk about how to stay away from Instagram on a non-permanent basis, being able to go back to using your profile if you want. That is, you won’t learn to delete your Instagram account here, but how to deactivate it. Check out the steps below:
- Go to the platform’s official website through the link to start the process. You will then have to log in to the account you want to temporarily disable;
- Now that you have logged into your account, you will see your timeline, where you should click on the profile icon that is located in the upper right corner of the screen and then on “Profile” in the menu that appears. Then click on the “Edit Profile” button next to your profile picture to go to the settings;
- Keep scrolling to the bottom of the page to find the blue button that says “Temporarily disable my account”. To deactivate, and not delete, your Instagram account, just click this button;
- Now, then, select the reason that led you to deactivate the account and enter your password in the indicated field. Finally, just click on the blue button that says “Temporarily disable account”.
How to permanently delete your account in four steps?
As we’ve already mentioned to you, Instagram would really like you to keep your account on the platform, even if it’s disabled. The process turns out to be far less intuitive. Follow the steps below:
- Go to the Instagram account delete page via any browser you prefer to begin the process. It is worth mentioning that following the link is something that is necessary as it cannot be found anywhere on the Instagram page;
- From the list below, choose your reason for deleting your Instagram account instead of deactivating it:
- Problems getting started;
- It takes up a lot of my time/distracts my attention too much;
- Privacy issues;
- Ads in excess;
- I can’t find people to follow;
- A second account was created;
- I want to remove something;
- Another motive.
- Instagram will offer you several suggestions for you to implement and solve issues without deleting the account. If that’s still what you want to do, enter the Instagram password in the indicated field;
- Finally, so that you can complete the process of permanently deleting your Instagram account, click on the red button that says “Delete my account permanently“.
How did you like our guide on how to delete your Instagram account in four steps?
Please let us know in the comments if you already knew the ways to get off the platform or if we showed you a way you didn’t.