Minecraft is a game filled with resources and very interesting game modes, but having a little extra help in certain scenarios could be essential. Fortunately, Minecraft has a good number of console commands and cheats the players can use to help them out. They work by making some gameplay elements easier or by fixing a temporary issue.
That said, it is really useful to have in hand a list with some of these commands, something you’ll find below!
Tip: If you want to try out this game but you’re unsure if you will end up playing it, check out our guide on how to play Minecraft for free!
Index of this article
Minecraft console commands: how to use them
Using Minecraft’s console commands and cheats is something that is quite easy to do, but it still is worth explaining. All you need is to press the “/” key to open the dialog box on the bottom left corner of the screen, which is where you will insert all the commands we will show here.
1. Help with commands
Minecraft’s commands are simple, but anytime you want or need some help with the game or with some unknown command, you can simply type /help or /help [command name] and then press the Enter key. The game will, then, show you all the info it has on the matter.
In case you’re playing with your friends and you’ve gotten lost, you can use the command /tp [player name] to teleport directly to them, wherever they are.
3. Giving an item
If you ever need to give an item from your inventory to another player quickly, you can use the following command: /give [player name] [amount] [item name]. This command is best for when you only need to give a single item to your friend, but it also works for biggest quantities.
You can easily use the /kill command to kill your character or insert another player’s name who’s currently on your server to kill their character.
5. Creative mode
One of the Minecraft console commands is one that allows you to swap game modes and quickly enter the creative game mode to have more freedom in what you’re gonna build (and also you won’t have to worry about monsters or hunger). To use it, you just have to type in the console command /gamemode creative.
6. Survival mode
Now, if you want to swap the game mode to the survival mode to face harder and more daring challenges, you have to simply enter the console command /gamemode survival.
7. Set the time
If you want, you can also set the game’s time to whatever you prefer. Use the command /time set 0000, replacing the “0000” we used as an example for: 0 for morning, 6000 for noon, 12000 for sunset and 18000 for night time.
8. Current world seed
In the case that you enjoy your character’s current world, you can use the console command /seed to see its seed code. This way, you can write this code down to use it at a later time to recreate this world in a different occasion.
9. Stop time
If you wish to stop the time at a specific hour, you can use the command /gamerule doDaylightCycle false. To turn everything back to normal, all it takes is for you to type in the command /gamerule doDaylightCycle true.
Another of the Minecraft console commands is useful if you want to summon an item or a creature to your world easily. All you need to do is to type in the command /summon [creature or object name].
If you use the console command Cannon a block of dynamite will be sent directly to the spot you’re pointing at with your mouse cursor, hitting anything nearby.
12. Atlantis mode
To fill up your world with water, you can easily type in the console command /atlantis. By doing that, even the highest mountain will be covered in water.
If you’re ever in a place filled to the brim with enemies and no way to defend yourself, you can use the following Minecraft console command: /mobdamage. By using it, you will become immune to enemy attacks.
14. Freezing enemies
Another easy solution for the above scenario is freezing all the nearby enemies by using the /freeze console command.
15. Duplicate items
If you need to duplicate any of your items, you can use the following of the Minecraft console commands: /duplicate while holding the item in question.
6 beginner Minecraft tips
It is a good idea to have a Minecraft console command list at your disposal, but it is also good to know how to get around since the beginning. So, we also prepared a quick list of beginner tips to help you out. Check them out below:
- Gather all sorts of materials: Gather any and all type of materials you find on the map. Be it wood, earth, stones and anything else: everything is useful when you’re starting off, even more wood;
- Create your crafting table: As soon as you have some wood in your bags, make your crafting table. It is by using it that you’ll be able to craft new items and tools. Minecraft’s crafting system is quite simple and will tell you exactly what you need for the table;
- Craft a chest: After you have your crafting table set, go ahead and craft a chest to store your materials. It is essencial since your inventory is not that large and will become full quickly;
- Craft your tools: With the crafting table you can also craft tools and weapons, which is useful when fighting off enemies and collecting materials easily. After all, it is much more efficient and quick to chop down trees with an axe than with a shovel. Craft at least an axe, a pickaxe and a sword to start off;
- Build a shelter: With so much done already, night must be creeping in. Because of that it is highly recommended that you build a shelter. It might be a small earth or stone one, just enough to keep you safe until the sun rises;
- Avoid going out at night: Our recommendation to build a shelter is to avoid the night’s dangers. It is during this time that most monsters and creatures come out to attack you. Since at first you don’t have any good armor or weapons, it is for the best to stay home and wait it out.p
Did you enjoy our list of Minecraft console commands?
Did you manage to learn anything new from our list of the most important console commands and cheats on Minecraft? Remember to leave a comment telling us your opinion and if it worked out fine for you. If you have another suggestion or tip you want to share, just write it out down below!